Like it or not, winter is on its way in Wichita. Although a fresh blanket of snow can be beautiful, it can knock out heat or power, sometimes for several days.
Make sure you are prepared, no matter what the season holds. Share these home tips for a safe winter:
- Prevent ice dams by periodically inspecting the roof drainage system for proper flow, including drains, gutters and down spouts.
- Clean or replace the furnace filter before turning the unit on for the first time. Check the blower belt and motor, ensuring the vents in the house are unobstructed.
- Remove flammable objects from around the furnace and water heater.
- Use caution with space heaters and opt for heaters with automatic shut-off switches and non-glowing elements. Never place a space heater on top of furniture or near water.
- Insulate pipes with insulation, or newspapers and plastic, and allow faucets to drip a little during cold weather. Running water, even at a trickle, helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Know how to shut off water valves in case a pipe bursts.
- Insulate walls and attics and check caulking around doors and windows. Install storm doors or windows and cover windows with plastic.
- Keep fire extinguishers on hand and make sure everyone in the house knows how to use them. Residential fires pose an additional risk during winter months, when people turn to alternate heating sources without taking the necessary safety precautions.
If your home or business is damaged as a result of Kansas’ unpredictable winter weather, ServiceMaster Clean in a Wink is here to return your life back to normal as quickly as possible. Whether it’s water, fire or smoke damage, our restoration experts are ready to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year.
For more information, call (316) 348-4464