If you experience a sewer back up in your home or office, the problem is more than just an inconvenience – it’s a health hazard. Sewage contains bacteria, viruses and other germs that can cause disease, illness and can make a contaminated house uninhabitable.
As with other types of water damage, sewage back ups should be addressed as quickly as possible to prevent further damage. Calling for immediate professional mitigation services should be your first step in dealing with a sewer back up.
Additionally, follow these steps in the event of sewage back up:
• If there is a back up, do not flush the toilets.
• Keep all children and pets away from the sewage.
• Wear rubber gloves when handling anything contaminated with sewage.
• If contact does occur, wash hands immediately afterward. Never touch raw sewage with bare hands.
• Turn off the power if there is standing water.
Have you experienced sewer or water damage and need help? Call ServiceMaster Cleaning and Restoration by Clean in a Wink at (316) 348-4464 for round-the-clock rapid response including:
- Loss site inspection and evaluation
- Sewage and water extraction
- Odor removal
- Mold and mildew prevention
- Decontamination and sanitization