Open Accessibility Menu

How Renters Insurance Works With Water Damage

The Insurance Information Institute ( states that 63% of renters do not have renters insurance. Renters insurance covers your personal property in the event of a disaster. Many tenants believe that their landlord's insurance policy will cover the damage to their belongings. Unfortunately, this is not the case. A landlord's insurance will only pay to repair the building itself, not the renter's things. For example, if a pipe breaks under the sink and floods the kitchen, your landlord would be responsible for repairing the pipe and any damage to the structure. As a tenant, you would be responsible for replacing your personal property.

Another reason many people fail to purchase renters insurance is that they think it is too expensive. In fact, according to the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America (IIABA) the average policy, depending on coverage is only $12 per month for a $30,000 policy. Don't think you own $30,000 worth of stuff? Try adding up everything in your home including clothing, dishes, and furniture. How would you pay to replace these items? Where would you stay while the building is restored and rebuilt? That's where renters insurance comes in.  While losing everything in a fire may be the most devastating, it's not the most common type of loss. Water damage is the second most common cause of property damage, wind and hail being the top cause ( Additionally, water damage accounts for over 75% of our restoration business. 

Does renters insurance cover water damage?

A basic renters insurance policy covers:

  • Frozen pipe breaks
  • Windstorm or hail
  • The weight of sleet, snow, or ice
  • Fire sprinkler failure
  • Plumbing leaks
  • An accidental discharge from an appliance

A good rule of thumb to follow is if the water comes from below (like flooding from a rainstorm), it is not a covered loss. If the water comes from above (such as a broken pipe), it is a covered loss. The scope and coverage may vary depending on your insurance company and the policy you purchased. It is best to check your policy with your insurance agent before any damage occurs to ensure that you have the right coverage. 

What to do if you have a water loss

  • Call your landlord, insurance agent, and ServiceMaster Dynamic Cleaning.
  • Do what you can to prevent further damage and mold growth.
  • Review your insurance policy.
  • Take photos and/or videos of the damaged property. *Don't throw anything away until your claims adjuster has completed an inspection. 
  • ServiceMaster Dynamic Cleaning will work with your insurance company to provide damage assessment, estimates, and water damage restoration services. 

It is our hope that you'll never have to worry about water damage in your apartment. But if the water should begin to rise, give us a call at (800) 865-5157 or contact us. Whether you have insurance coverage or not, when faced with damage from floods, leaks, or sewer backups in your home, you need trained water damage restoration services. At ServiceMaster Dynamic Cleaning we know how to restore the damage and work with your insurance company quickly and efficiently. If you don’t have insurance, we will provide an appropriate, cost-effective solution to the problem.