Concentrating on anything, let trying to get some sleep at night can be difficult with carpets that give off a musty smell. But this isn’t the only problem; if your carpet contains mold or mildew of any kind, it can pose a serious health risk to you and everyone on the property. So this is not a project to be put off for a few weeks.
When it comes to removing musty smells from a carpet, there are two ways to solve the issue:
- You can hire a mold remediation professional to take care of any mold growth as well as lingering odors. They will use commercial-grade products and equipment in order to penetrate the fungus and eliminate it at its source.
- You can use home remedies to remove mold and the smell. On the bright side, many cases of moldy-smelling carpets can be solved with products around the house. As long as you are aggressive and consistent with the cleaning process, you can look forward to a fresh-smelling home in 48 hours.
How to Remove Mold and Musty Smell from the Carpet
- Dry out the area. All mold and musty smells will be the result of excess moisture, so the first thing you want to do is air out the area. Turn on the HVAC system, overhead fan, or any other appliance to eliminate the moisture from the air and carpet. If the home was flooded, you can contact ServiceMaster of North Texas to use high-velocity air movers and dehumidifiers to restore the carpet with extensive damage. Just keep in mind that they may recommend to replace the carpet.
- Vacuum the debris. As soon as the carpet and affected building materials are completely dry, vacuum up the rest of the debris and dust to help clear out the odor. A large vacuum should be able to remove the majority of the debris.
- Apply vinegar and water mixture. Add two cups of water and one cup of vinegar to a spray bottle, mixing thoroughly. Then spray a light layer to mist the moldy-smelling areas. Just be careful not to apply too much or you may find additional mold growth.
- Add baking soda. After lightly saturating the carpet, apply an extensive amount of baking soda on the carpet. This home remedy is one of the best – and most eco-friendly – odor neutralizers. So you don’t have to worry about it harming pets or damaging the carpet fibers.
- Give it time. The best way to allow the vinegar mixture and baking soda to remove the odor is to give them time to work their magic. If you let the mixture sit overnight, you should start to notice the difference the next day.
- Use hydrogen peroxide to remove the moldy smell. Although vinegar and baking soda are one of the best ways to remove mold, sometimes it takes something a little stronger. Add five parts of water with 1 part of hydrogen peroxide to a spray bottle and lightly cover the affected area in a mist again. If the carpet is not tacked down, lift it up and spray the bottom as well. Then allow it to sit for a few more hours to allow it to neutralize the moldy smell.
- Use carpet shampoo to remove the musty odor. If the odor still lingers, an alternative would be to apply to clean the carpet using a sponge – just make sure not too apply too much moisture to the area. After blotting the area with the carpet shampoo, allow it to dry, and then vacuum up the debris again.
- Repeat the process. If you are lucky enough to remove the odor on the first try, the problem is solved. But other situations will need a little more persistence. Feel free to continue repeating the process using the vinegar and baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, or carpet shampoo methods above.
Hiring a Professional Odor Removal Company
If the smell continues to persist or it returns in the future, feel free to call the professionals at ServiceMaster of North Texas. We are not only able to remove the odor but eliminate mold left behind from water damage. Using professional cleaning products and technology, we can have your home smelling and looking clean again in no time.
Whether you only need a moldy smell removed from the carpet, carpet cleaning, complete mold remediation, or even water damage restoration, we can inspect the area to determine which of the following services would be best to return your home to its previous condition. Please don’t hesitate to call the technicians at ServiceMaster of North Texas for a free estimate at any time.