Open Accessibility Menu

Appliance Safety Tips

Did you know that May is National Electrical Safety Month? According to the National Fire Protections Association, more than half of house fires are caused by electrical problems every year. Home appliances are the top culprit when it comes to an electrical fire. Appliances can cause huge safety issues if not maintained properly. We want to keep you and your family safe, that is why we have brought you these top safety tips for your home appliances.


1. When not in use, unplug all small appliances in your home such as curling irons, hairdryers, toasters, coffee pots, etc.
2. Keep cords short to prevent trips and possibly knocking your appliances over. Do not bury cords or wires underneath rugs, carpets, etc.
3. Never place electric cords or appliances near water. Keep all appliances such as radios, hairdryers, curling irons, or kitchen appliances away from the sink or bathtub, and do not in any instance reach for an appliance that has fallen in water unless it is unplugged.
4. Check your home for any cords that are damaged or frayed and dispose of these appliances immediately.
5.Clean your dryer from lint on a regular basis. Accumulated lint inside of dryers causes more than 15,000 fires per year!
6. Do not EVER touch an appliance in your home if you smell gas. Get out of your home immediately should you ever smell gas and call 911.
7. Do not overload your circuits with appliances. If your circuit is blowing on a regular basis, this is a warning sign.
8. Keep all flammable items, such as curtains, clothes, etc. away from heaters.
9. Do not run appliances such as your dryer or dishwasher when you are away from home or asleep.
10. Do not ever keep flammable items near stove burners and never leave food cooking on the stove unattended.
We hope that you take these tips and put them into practice. Prevention is key when it comes to fires. Being prepared is also imperative.


  • Have a fire escape plan and practice it with your family.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher in your home.
  • Make sure all your smoke detectors are working properly.

ServiceMaster Restoration offers professional fire mitigation services. We understand that experiencing fire and smoke damage can be difficult, we offer years of experience in returning homes and offices back to normal after a fire.

Call us today at (704) 324-8528.