Just like everything in your home, your washing machine may need attention at some point in time. As your machine ages, it can experience some issues. Instead of cleaning your clothes, your washing machine could create a big mess if it overflows.
There are several factors that could lead to an overflow but the most common is a clogged pipe or damage to your washing machine hoses.
So what should you do should you face a washing machine overflow?
* First, turn off the water flow immediately. You can do this by turning off the power to the machine at the circuit breaker box. Be very careful when entering the room as water may be on the floor, creating a slippery path.
* Once you have stopped the water from flowing, move all items on the floor around the area away to prevent damage. Move furniture and any porous items out of the room. Clean up as much of the water as you can to reduce water damage.
* Take the wet clothes out of the washer and wring them out to dry. Empty as much of the standing water out of the washer that you can with a bucket.
* Once you have done all of this, you can check behind the washing machine and look for any leaks or visual problems with the hoses. If you do see damage to the hoses then you will most likely need to replace them.
The best thing to do if you cannot find the cause of the leak is to call a certified plumber. A plumber will be able to identify the problem and repair your machine. You will also want to call a professional restoration company such as ServiceMaster Restoration should you have significant water damage. We are able to extract any standing water from the area and dry all wet materials in order to prevent mold from growing.
Tips to Prevent an Overflow
* Make sure to use the proper laundry detergent for your machine and do not use more than the recommended amount.
* If your washer has a lint filter clean it regularly to prevent lint from clogging in the pipes.
* Do not put too many clothes in the washing machine at one time. Make sure to fill it evenly on all sides during a load.
As always, should you face a water loss in your home we are ready and standing by to respond. Offering emergency water mitigation services and on-call 24 hours, 7 days a week no loss is too big for us to handle. Give us a call today.