When it comes to the holidays, there is no doubt that food is at the center of most festivities. The kitchen is where families gather together, it is truly the heart of the home. Unfortunately, statistics show that accidents in the kitchen rise during the holidays. The risk of a fire occurring in a home is greater during the holidays than at any other time of the year. Most of the time accidents and fires can be avoided by practicing safety in the kitchen and being aware of potentially dangerous situations.
Here is what you can do to avoid danger in your kitchen this holiday:
1. Stay alert while cooking in the kitchen. If you are tired or have consumed too much alcohol, do not attempt to cook.
2. Never walk away from food that is boiling, broiling, or frying in the kitchen.
3. When baking food, check on it often. Set a timer to alert you when your food is ready.
4. Never leave flammable items near the stove while cooking. such as rags or towels.
5. When cooking with pots, turn handles away to prevent accidents.
6. Be aware of children in the kitchen, make sure nothing in your kitchen can be of danger to a child.
7. Buy a fire extinguisher and learn how to use it. It is best to keep it in your kitchen in case a fire should occur.
What to do should a fire occur:
• Do not ever put a grease fire out with water, this will make the fire worse.
• The best way to smother a grease fire is to cover it with a lid. Turn off the stove, leave the pan until it is cooled off.
• Use your fire extinguisher, if you do not have one keep baking powder nearby to put over a grease fire. It will take quite a bit of baking powder to put the fire out.
• If you have a fire inside of your oven, turn off the heat and keep the oven door closed.
• If the fire does not remain small, or you feel that you cannot control the situation call 911 immediately.
• Get everyone out of the home right away.
Please follow these tips this holiday so that you and your family can have a safe, wonderful season. Knowledge is key and acting quickly is always in your best interest.
Our company is here for you should you experience a disaster; you do not have to deal with it alone. We will help you restore your home and your peace of mind. Give us a call today! (704) 324-8528.