Simple Ways to Reduce Home Fires
October is National Fire Prevention Month, a great time to discuss fire safety and prevention. The first place to start implementing fire safety is in your home. Many house fires are preventable. Here are five simple ways you can reduce fire hazards in your home.
Stand By Your Pan
The kitchen is the first place that fire safety should begin. Cooking is the number one cause of house fires. The main reason is that people often start cooking on their stove, become distracted and forget what they are doing. This is why it is essential that you “stand by your pan”. Never leave your stove unattended when cooking. This is a very simple way to prevent a very bad fire.
Space Heater Safety
During the winter, heater safety is crucial. Electric heaters can be very dangerous if not used in the right way. If you use a space heater, make sure that it is far away enough from other objects, at least 3 feet away. Do not place it anywhere near curtains, furniture, beds, pets or people.
Never Smoke Inside
Not only is smoking terrible for your health but it is the third cause of home fires. Cigarette butts light on fire very easily. The best policy to have is no smoking indoors. Even when smoking outside of your house, be sure to fully extinguish cigarettes with water before they are discarded.
Candles are in many peoples homes and they should never be left unattended. Don’t use candles in your bedroom and never leave a room with a candle lit. Consider using battery powered candles instead for a safe option.
Check Your Cords
Check all of your electrical cords to make sure they look good. Cords that are frayed or worn can spread sparks and start a fire. Replace any cords that look damaged right away and be sure you don’t overload your circuits.
Start working on these tasks today to make your home as safe as possible. ServiceMaster Restoration is available to you 365 days a year, 7 days a week should you need our services. We offer the best in restoration services. We work hard to offer you peace of mind. Give us a call today at (704) 324-8528.