It’s almost time to celebrate America’s independence. The fourth of July is full of fun activities, family, and friends. Because, we know it’s easy to become distracted with a lot going on around you, we have put together a few tips to keep you safe.
Grilling Safety Tip
- Always grill outside, never grill in an enclosed space such as a garage, tent or another area where carbon monoxide can accumulate
- Make sure your grill is at least 10 feet away from your home. It should be on a flat surface and never on a balcony or anything that does not touch the ground
- Be sure to keep your pets and children away from the grill when you are using it, always supervise the grill closely. Never leave it unattended
- Leaks in a gas grill can cause a fire, check your gas hose before you use it for the first time. You can check for leaks by putting a little soap and water on the hose. If there is a leak you will see bubbles.
- Always be sure the lid is open on your grill when you turn the gas on.
- If using charcoal, remember that the coals can stay hot for a long time after you use them. Be sure there is nothing near them and keep children away.
- Do not use liquid fuel if your charcoal fire gets low, this can cause a quickfire.
- Keep your grill clean, any buildup of grease can be dangerous and cause fires.
- Always use a food thermometer to be sure your meat is cooked properly. Never consume raw meat and risk serious illness.
Firework Safety Tips
- Keep a close eye on children when around fireworks.
- Never put fireworks in your pocket, at the risk they could explode.
- Once you light your firework, move away very quickly. Only light one at a time, it is also a good idea to wear eye protection.
- Do not wear loose clothing when setting off fireworks.
- Point all fireworks away from homes, brush or any flammable items.
- Never point a firework towards another person.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby in case of an emergency.
- Don’t forget about your pets. Many pets are afraid of fireworks and the loud noises will stress them out. Keep them inside to prevent them from running away or getting injured.
- Do not ever try to make homemade fireworks
Water Safety Tips
- Be aware and practice safe boating practices.
- Never drink alcohol while driving a boat.
- Make sure there are enough life preservers on hand for every passenger before boating.
- Make water safety rules for your group.
- Pools should be enclosed completely with a fence. Check out more pool safety tips here.
- Keep a first aid kit on hand, in a boat, or near the pool.
Happy Fourth of July! Remember that ServiceMaster Restoration is available to you 365 days a year, 7 days a week should you need our services. We offer the best in restoration services. We work hard to offer you peace of mind. Give us a call today at (704) 324-8528