Open Accessibility Menu

Stay Safe this Halloween

Stay Safe this Halloween

Did you know that Halloween is one of the top five days for candle fires in homes?  According to the National Candle Association, 35% of candle sales occur during the holiday season beginning with Halloween.

The time old tradition of pumpkin carving at Halloween is a favorite of many.  You can still enjoy your jack o lantern, but in a safe way.  Putting a lit candle inside of your pumpkin and closing it with the lid is not a good idea.  Open flames always need to be watched.  A pumpkin can easily be knocked over and create a fire hazard. Instead of a real candle try using a glow stick, flashlight or a battery powered light.  These are very popular now and can be found at most stores.

Candle safety needs to be followed at all times of the year, not just Halloween. Here are some tips for you to avoid a dangerous situation.


  • Never leave a burning candle unattended.
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
  • Never light a candle near something that could catch on fire, i.e.- curtains, furniture, lampshades, etc.
  • Do not ever let a candle burn overnight.
  • Do not ever never touch hot candle wax, it will burn! Teach your children the same.
  • Consider changing to battery operated flameless candles, which are sold now almost everywhere.

Please keep your candle burning safe.  If you are to experience a fire in your home, call 911 immediately.  If you home is damaged by fire or smoke ServiceMaster Restoration is here for you.  We can work with you and your insurance company to help you in your time of need.  Call us today at (704) 324-8528.