How to Prevent Damage After a Home Flood, Leak, or Other Water Disaster
Water damage can be a huge headache. Not only is it a pain to deal with, but it can also lead to long-term damage if not taken care of quickly and properly. That's why it's important to hire a restoration company to complete water mitigation services as soon as possible after dealing with any water damage.
ServiceMaster Restoration by Neverman Construction Company's water mitigation professionals have the experience and equipment necessary to take care of the problem quickly and effectively, minimizing the amount of physical and financial damage your home's structure and personal items take.
Keep reading for more information on why you need water mitigation services after dealing with water damage and how our Columbus disaster restoration company can help.
What's Water Mitigation?
Water mitigation is often the first step in restoring your home after water damage. The exact steps taken and in what order are determined by the specifics of your home’s water damage, but in general, the water mitigation process includes:
- Locating and putting a stop to the source of water damage
- Isolating the damaged areas to prepare for clean up
- Performing a damage assessment to determine what needs to be repaired
- Extraction of standing water from interiors
- Setting up air movers and dehumidifiers to begin drying the areas
Water mitigation professionals use specialized equipment, including pumps and air movers, to remove standing water quickly and efficiently. Once completed, your team will get started on your water damage restoration.
Water Mitigation vs. Water Damage Restoration
Water mitigation and restoration aren't the same things. Water mitigation focuses on removing the water from your property and ensuring that it does not cause further damage.
On the other hand, water restoration involves the entire process of restoring or replacing items damaged by standing water and trapped moisture. You can’t have one without the other.
When is Water Mitigation Necessary?
Even if the water damage seems small, it's important that you start the water mitigation process immediately. Water can seep into your walls and floors, leading to numerous problems, including long-term structural damage, mold, and mildew growth.
To keep yourself and your family safe, be sure to request water mitigation after experiencing any of the following:
- Water heater failure
- Dishwasher leaks
- Washing machine leaks
- Burst plumbing lines
- Flooding from heavy rainfall
- Roof leaks
- Backed-up drains
- Sump pump failure
Water damage mitigation will also include extra disinfection steps for water damage involving sewage backups or other contamination from gray or black water sources, an essential part of restoring your environment’s health and safety.
How Long Does Mitigation Take?
The exact time it takes for water mitigation to be completed is based on a few things:
- The amount of standing water that needs to be removed
- How much needs to be disposed of and reconstructed
- If any problems (like mold and foundation damage) have developed
- The category of water damage and what kind of cleaning services are needed
When you call on our team, we’ll do our best to be there within an hour or so to get things started as quickly as possible. The drying process can last anywhere from 24 – 72 hours, while the actual restoration of your property could take anywhere from one to four weeks, depending on the above.
Benefits of Immediate Water Mitigation
When it comes to recovering from water damage, speed is key. There are several benefits to requesting water mitigation services as soon as possible, including:
- Get Professional Insight – When you hire a professional water mitigation company, you get access to their expertise and experience dealing with this kind of issue. They'll be able to walk you through the process from damage assessment to insurance claims.
- Reduce Damage – The longer water sits in your home, the more damage it can do. Water mitigation will reduce the damage caused by standing water and trapped moisture.
- Save Money – Water mitigation can help you avoid expensive repair bills by ensuring water damage doesn't worsen. The earlier it’s addressed, the less money you'll have to invest to get things back to normal later.
- Speed Up Repairs – The sooner you start the water mitigation process, the faster your repairs can begin. This is especially true if large amounts of water have entered your home.
- Protect Your Health – Prolonged water damage can lead to mold and mildew growth, which poses certain health risks. Immediate mitigation will give you the best chance to protect your and your family's health and comfort.
Water damage can be incredibly destructive, so it's important to take action immediately. The professionals at ServiceMaster Restoration by Neverman Construction Company are available around the clock to take your call and dispatch water damage mitigation professionals to help.
Why ServiceMaster Restoration by Neverman Construction Company Can Handle Your Water Damage Mitigation
ServiceMaster Restoration by Neverman Construction Company is a reliable and experienced water damage mitigation provider. We can handle any size of disaster, from small leaks to major flooding. Our certified technicians understand the importance of taking swift action in emergencies and look to provide nothing less than superior service.
Why customers turn to our Columbus water mitigation professionals after water damage:
- We’re locally owned and operated in Columbus, OH, only away from your home
- We provide 24/7 availability for emergency restoration services
- We’re known for our accurate, upfront, and honest damage assessments
- We have years of experience working with homeowners and insurance companies
Regardless of the disaster that damaged your home, know that our Columbus restoration company is prepared to handle it. We’re equipped with advanced tools and trusted solutions that restore the health and happiness of your home.
Reach out to our team as soon as water damage is spotted to get started on your restoration today!