Fire Damage Tips
Fire, Smoke and Water Damage Clean Up Utica NY serving Oneida, Herkimer and Fulton Counties
After the fire is out and the smoke has cleared, call ServiceMaster of Utica in Utica, New York to help with the cleanup and increase your chances of a complete recovery.
To help ensure a successful restoration, here are a few things you should and should not do after disaster strikes.
What to do:
- Call ServiceMaster of Utica immediately. Corrosive byproducts from fire and smoke can cause etching that is irreversible in as few as 72 hours.
- Air out your home by opening windows and doors to reduce the smoke odor.
- To prevent permanent tarnishing or etching, clean any Formica, chrome, porcelain and aluminum fixtures.
- If you use forced air, clean the air filter in your furnace.
- To capture any loose soot in the air, cover important documents with damp cheesecloth.
- Throw out any open food packages.
- Turn off the electricity to your refrigerator, clean thoroughly and leave the doors propped open.
- Take any clothing with heavy smoke damage to a dry cleaner who is qualified in restoration.
What not to do:
- Don't touch anything like upholstery, walls and woodwork. Oil from your hands can permeate cloth and wood, causing additional damage.
- Do not attempt to wash your walls. Cleaning incorrectly can compound the soot residue.
- Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstery yourself. Call a professional like ServiceMaster of Utica.
- Do not use any electrical appliances until they have been checked thoroughly by a professional.
- If the ceiling is wet, do not use ceiling fixtures.