MOLD REMEDIATION SERVICES
Mold is an insidious invader inside a home, often hiding unseen but wreaking havoc on the structure and causing health issues for the inhabitants. Mold grows indoors in the presence of moisture and organic material and is often found on wallpaper, ceiling tiles, carpets, insulation, wood, and drywall. If moisture is left unchecked, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Mold is present virtually everywhere in nature, but it shouldn't be present in your home. If you see signs of microbial growth or have reason to suspect there is unseen mold in your home, call ServiceMaster Restore of Lynchburg right away. Using infrared technology for detection and specialized chemical for remediation, our expert crew is always ready to help!
WHAT IS MOLD?
Mold is a fungus with many different species that can be found virtually everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. It's believed that there may be up to three hundred thousand different species of mold. Mold reproduces by way of spores, which travel through the air to new locations where they will proliferate in the presence of water. Spores are hardy and can survive in conditions that are not conducive to mold growth until such time they find an appropriate environment for growth.
Mold cannot grow without some level of moisture. It thrives in the wet environments in a home created by slow leaks, floods, broken pipes, and excess humidity. In addition to water, mold needs to have an organic food source, oxygen, and a temperature between 40 degrees and 100 degrees Fahrenheit to grow. Organic food sources are abundant in homes because they can be found in many building materials such as wood and drywall.
If you see signs of mold growth, call ServiceMaster Restore of Lynchburg for full-service mold remediation services in the Lynchburg, VA area.
WHY IS MOLD A PROBLEM?
The problems caused by mold are multifaceted and affect both the structural integrity of a home as well as the health of the people inside.
Once mold begins growing inside a structure, it will gradually destroy the materials that it's growing on including:
- Foundation, roofing, and HVAC
- Drywall, carpets, furnishings
Mold presents a health issue for anyone who encounters it, but particularly for those with pre-existing respiratory conditions. Some of the potential side effects of mold are:
- Chronic headaches, breathing difficulties, skin irritation
- Allergic reaction, aggravation of pre-existing conditions like asthma
WHAT TO LOOK FOR
It's a good idea to keep an eye out for signs of mold, but that's hard to do if you don't know what you're looking for. Fortunately, there are some tell-tale warning signs that indicate you have mold in your home.
- Dark spots and discoloration on the floors, ceilings, and walls
- Musty odors and mildew can indicate mold growth
- Increased and chronic respiratory and allergy symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, wheezing, and trouble breathing in any or all occupants
- High humidity levels causing continuous condensation on glass and metal surfaces
CHALLENGES OF MOLD CLEANING
Although much is known about mold and proper cleaning techniques, there remains a lot of confusion and misconceptions surrounding the subject. The following are some facts about mold:
- Mold can have a negative impact on the health of your family and the structure of your home.
- Mold and mildew thrive in environments that are warm, damp, and humid.
- Even when it's severe, mold may never become visible because it can grow inside walls and under the floor.
- When you've experienced water damage, if more than 48 hours have passed any wet materials have a higher likelihood of being affected by mold, even if you can't see it growing yet.
- Whether the mold is visible or not, only a professional can accurately identify the source and extent of the damage.
- Do-it-yourself cleaning can often make the problem worse if you don't know what you're doing.
Mold can quickly become a serious problem, and, unless the area is very, very small, attempting to clean mold by yourself is not a good idea. There are many important things that need to be taken into consideration, from the chemicals used to clean the mold to proper containment so the mold doesn't spread when it's disturbed. At ServiceMaster Restore of Lynchburg our team has the knowledge, equipment, and expertise to properly assess and complete your mold remediation.