All of us here at ServiceMaster of Salem would like to wish you and your families a very safe and happy Thanksgiving! We know that the holidays can be stressful with food prep and getting your home ready for all of your family and sometimes friends as well, so we have compiled a list of tips below on how keep your home safe while you prep and visit with your family.
How to Have a Safe Thanksgiving
On Thanksgiving Day, the kitchen is the busiest room in the home. We want you to have a safe holiday with these helpful cooking safety tips:
- Remain in the kitchen when cooking on the stove-top to keep an eye on the food.
- Stay inside the home when cooking turkey and check on it frequently.
- Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should stay three feet away.
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children by placing them up high in a locked cabinet.
- Make sure all smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
- The National Fire Prevention Association also discourages the use of outdoor, gas-fueled turkey fryers.
If you do end up experiencing a Turkey Day disaster, please contact us immediately and do not attempt to clean anything yourself. We can provide guidance on the steps to take to mitigate the damage. Please call us at any of our locations: