As we roll into the new year, we want to make sure that you’re prepared for the winter months ahead. Regardless of what part of the country you live in, chances are you will experience some sort of winter weather. With this season comes freezing temperatures and increased amounts of precipitation, the result of which can wreak havoc on homes and businesses if owners are not prepared. By following these helpful tips, you can prepare for dealing with water damage and frozen pipes.
- Use fans, if the ceiling is dry, to circulate air and help with the drying process.
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe furniture dry an untreated microfiber cloth or white towel.
- Lift draperies off carpet, loop through a coat hanger and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
- Prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying and place small wood blocks or aluminum foil under furniture legs.
- Enhance drying by removing wet area rugs/floor coverings, opening furniture drawers/closet doors.
- Call for professional help immediately. Damage from the water and bacteria growth can begin within hours.
- Don’t use a household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or wet floors.
- Turn the main switches in the circuit breaker box to the off position.
- Don’t go into rooms with standing water if the electricity is still on.
- Don’t lift tacked-down carpet, as lifting carpet incorrectly can promote shrinkage and result in more costly expenses.
- Don’t use electrical appliances until they have been checked.
- Don’t use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet.
If your home or business is damaged as a result of winter weather, ServiceMaster Restore® is here to get your home back to normal as quickly as possible. Whether it’s water, fire or smoke damage, our restoration experts are ready to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. For more information about our disaster restoration services, please call our office at (762) 226-2114.