Wildfire Preparedness in Redding, CA
Plan Ahead to Minimize Damage to Your Business
In California, we know just how serious wildfires are. Wildfires inflict heavy losses on businesses throughout the country each year, especially in our area of the U.S. Fire season typically peaks during the summer and early fall when conditions are hot and dry—just right for wildfires. However, with some advanced planning, you can do a lot to minimize damage to your commercial property from any potential wildfires.
Wildfire Preparation Experts Near You
With ServiceMaster Restoration Services - Redding in your corner, you can trust you have a friendly, experienced team of professionals who can help you through disaster, if it comes to that. We have the knowledge and expertise to tackle the toughest challenges and the dedication to providing personalized assistance and support to solve the situation quickly and efficiently.
Proactive Wildfire Preparation for Your Business
Wildfires can start without warning and move quickly. There are some actions you can take ahead of time, especially during times of high risk, while other things only make sense once danger is imminent. Here are some steps to take to make sure your business has the best chance of escaping a wildfire unscathed:
- Mark the Entrance to your property with address signs that are clearly visible from the road.
- Keep lawns trimmed, leaves raked, and the roof and rain gutters free from debris.
- Shut off gas at the meter. Only a qualified professional can safely turn the gas back on.
- Store flammable materials, liquids, and solvents in metal containers outside your property at least 30 feet away from structures and wooden fences.
- Remove branches hanging above and around your property.
- Make sure water sources such as ponds and hydrants are accessible to the fire department.
- Turn off propane tanks.
- Cover all exterior vents, attics, and eaves with metal mesh screens no larger than 1/4 inch to prevent debris from collecting and to keep sparks out.
- Close all interior doors and windows to prevent drafts.
- Use fire-resistant draperies for added window protection.
When do wildfires occur most often in California?
Wildfires are a natural part of the California ecosystem, but they can also pose a serious threat to property and human life. The state experiences the majority of its wildfires during the fall months, when strong winds often whip up wildfires that have been sparked by dry conditions. However, wildfires can occur at any time of year, and they are often caused by human activity, such as careless camping or unattended campfires.
In recent years, wildfires have become more frequent and destructive due to climate change. As the planet warms, drought conditions become more common, and wildfires can spread more easily through dried-out vegetation. Californians need to be aware of the dangers of wildfires and take steps to prevent them. If you're looking for help with your wildfire preparation plan, reach out to the experts at ServiceMaster Restoration Services - Redding.