Open Accessibility Menu

5 Signs of Mold in Your Home

Is mold hiding in your home? Could you have a possible mold problem and not even know? Not one person would wish this nasty fungus in their home, unfortunately, sometimes mold in your home cannot be seen or easily found. Sadly, mold can grow in places that are hidden. Areas such as in between walls, ceilings, under floors, and in basements or attics can harvest toxic mold. Mold is dangerous and can cause serious health problems if not treated. Learn the top warning signs so you can detect mold in your home.


If you smell a musty, mildew odor in your home chances are there is mold nearby. This type of odor cannot be masked no matter how hard you may try. Look in the area where you smell the odor and see if there are any signs of mold.  If you only smell the odor when the heat or air is running, then you could have a mold issue in your HVAC system.


Any water damage that has taken place in your home raises the risk for mold. If you see water stains on ceilings, walls or floors than you may have had a water leak. Water leaks that were not properly taken care of can cause mold to grow. To prevent the spread of mold it is important to react quickly in the event of a water loss. Have a professional check these areas underneath to be sure. Other signs of moisture in a home can be peeling or cracked paint and wallpaper.


Ever notice that you tend to feel sicker when you are home than away? If this is the case then you may have mold in your home. Mold can cause allergy-like symptoms such as 

• Runny nose
• Red, itchy eyes
• Congestion and sneezing
• Sore Throat
• Asthma

Even worse, if you have toxic mold in your home you can suffer from more serious issues, such as dizziness, headaches, and other neurological issues. If you experience any of these on a regular basis, act fast, and call a professional right away.


Of course, sometimes you can see the mold growing in your home. However, mold does not always look the way you may think it should. Mold can be white, black, gray, or green. If you see spots in any of these colors this can indicate mold. If allowed to grow unchecked, mold can also cause discoloration and structural damage to building materials. Patches of mold can spread very fast, so do not wait to have this taken care of. Even if you feel it is a small area, you do not want it to become a huge problem later.


If your basement is often damp and does not get a lot of ventilation, this is the perfect place for mold to thrive. Basements also tend to be on the cold side which can create condensation. Take a careful look around your basement for signs and smells of mold. Take preventative action by placing a dehumidifier in your basement to control humidity.

If you have any of these signs of mold in your home then you need to call a professional. Inspections and testing can be performed to be sure your home is safe. If mold is found in your home then your home will need mold remediation services.

ServiceMaster Quality Restoration offers professional, quality, mold remediation services. Our professionally trained technicians use the latest mold remediation and drying techniques to deliver quality results. Please don’t wait, give us a call today at (704) 324-8528.