Open Accessibility Menu

Hidden Dangers of Holiday Decorations

Tis the season for bright. twinkling lights, garland, sparkly tinsel, beautifully lit Christmas trees, and more. Holiday decorations are going up in homes all around now. Who doesn’t love to see the beautiful decor of the season? While we all want to make our home the most festive, it is important to stay aware of the dangers that these wonderful decorations can cause.

Top Dangers

Christmas Trees

The National Fire Protection Association reports that an average of 240 fires are from Christmas trees every year. Natural trees are more likely to catch fire than artificial trees. The key is to make sure to do everything to keep your tree safe. If you have a real tree make sure to place it in a sturdy, stable stand so that it cannot be knocked over. Keep your tree stand filled with water and make sure to check it often. A dry tree is more likely to catch on fire. Keep your tree away from objects that give off heat, such as candles, heaters or lights.

Christmas Lights and Candles

Make sure to check all your lights before putting them up. Frayed wires on a tree can overheat and cause a fire quickly. Be sure to check all your bulbs on the string, replace any that are empty. An empty bulb can cause shock.
Candles are at the top of the list when it comes to home fires. Make sure that you never leave candles unattended. Keep candles away from holiday decorations that can catch fire and be sure to extinguish all candles before going to sleep.


Please be careful when going on the roof or standing on a ladder to hang those wonderful Christmas lights. Most injuries occur from falling off a ladder during the holidays. An estimated 5,800 people are sent to the emergency room each holiday due to falls. When using a ladder make sure that is it secure and have another adult with you. No decoration is worth a serious injury.

Choking hazards

Although you may not think about it, many decorations can be a choking hazard to your little ones. Holiday decorations are very appealing to young children who put objects in their mouths. Small ornaments, tinsel, pine cones, lights, etc. can be a danger to your kids. Be aware also of certain holiday plants and flowers such as poinsettia, mistletoe, and holly. They can be potentially harmful if ingested. Be sure to keep these items where they cannot be reached if you have small children or pets in your home.

We want you to enjoy your holiday decorations this season. Decorations of the holiday bring happiness. If you heed these safety tips your holiday can be enjoyed safely.

ServiceMaster Restoration is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week, even during the holidays. We are on call for your convenience should an emergency occur. Our professionals are ready to respond to you always.

Happy Holidays!