The Dangers of Space Heaters
Space heaters are popular for the simple fact that they are inexpensive and can quickly heat a room. Unfortunately if not properly used than they can be dangerous and also a fire hazard. The National Fire Protection Association estimated that 18,000 house fires a year are caused by space heaters. If you are planning on using a space heater this winter, please follow our safety tips below.
- Before you use your heater, make sure that your carbon monoxide detector is properly working.
- Your heater should be away from any areas of traffic. It should be on a level ground and never place it on carpets or counters.
- Make sure your space heater has an emergency shut off feature should it tip over.
- Keep your heater away from pets and children.
- Do not use an extension cord to plug in your heater.
- Keep your heater at least 3 feet away from any flammable items.
- When not in use, turn your space heater off and unplug it.
Should you decide to use a space heater during cold weather, please keep our safety tips in mind. We are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Our professionals are ready to respond to you always. Call us today at (704) 324-8528.