What to do When Your Roof Leaks
Roof leaks are a common occurrence in homes that have been around for some time. Most roofs will experience a leak at some point in time. The heavy rains of spring can bring issues in your home such as roof leaks. Unfortunately, you will probably not even know you have a leak until it starts raining. As a homeowner, you will want to be aware of what to do should this occur. Below are some important tips on what to do if you find a roof leak and how to prevent water damage to your home.
1. Control the leak- First things first, you must control the area where the roof is leaking. Stay calm and place a large bucket underneath the area to catch the water. Move any furniture or contents away from the area to prevent damage to them.
2. Clean up excess water in your home- Grab some towels and dry the area as best as you can. Standing water can damage your carpet and floor. Attempt to clean up as much of it as you can until help arrives.
3. Locate the source of the leak– If you feel comfortable you can look for the leak. Start in your attic and see if you can find signs of a leak or any wet spots, leave climbing on the roof to a professional if you can’t see anything inside of your home.
4. Contact your insurance company- Call your insurance company to determine what you need to do next. They can send someone out to inspect the damage and possibly recommend a water restoration company, as well as a roofing contractor to help you with repairs. They can also provide you with information on what your policy will cover.
5. Call the experts- If your insurance company does not assist you with this step, you will need to contact a roofer and a water restoration company to assess whether you will need water mitigation services. Do not turn a blind eye to water damage in your home. A water loss from a leaky roof can turn into mold quickly. Water damaged drywall or other materials need to be properly dried and restored to avoid the risk of mold. Sometimes water can even spread to other areas during a roof leak and you will not even know it. You will need professional advice as to what your home needs.
If you experience water damage due to a roof leak, call the experts here at ServiceMaster Restoration. Water damage claims increase substantially if prompt action is not taken to contain the damage. We can take care of you quickly and efficiently. We have mitigation specialists on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Our quick response reduces your suffering and saves money.
Call us today at (704) 324-8528