The days are longer now and the weather is warming up. Now is the perfect time to spend your nights grilling on your back patio. In fact, grilling has become so popular that many Americans grill year-round now. Before firing up your grill, be prepared by following some of our safety tips. Our tips will get you ready for the perfect backyard cookout and keep you and your family safe all season long.
Grill Safety Tips
- Always grill outside, never grill in an enclosed space such as a garage, tent, or other areas where carbon monoxide can accumulate.
- Make sure your grill is at least 10 feet away from your home. It should be on a flat surface and never on a balcony or anything that does not touch the ground.
- Be sure to keep your pets and children away from the grill when you are using it, always supervise the grill closely. Never leave it unattended.
- Leaks in a gas grill can cause a fire, check your gas hose before you use it for the first time. You can check for leaks by putting a little soap and water on the hose. If there is a leak you will see bubbles.
- If you see that there is a leak or you smell gas, do not ever attempt to use your grill.
- Always be sure the lid is open on your grill when you turn the gas on.
- If using charcoal, remember that the coals can stay hot for a long time after you use them. Be sure there is nothing near them and keep children away.
- Do not use liquid fuel if your charcoal fire gets low, this can cause a quickfire.
- Keep your grill clean, any buildup of grease can be dangerous and cause fires.
- Always use a food thermometer to be sure your meat is cooked properly. Never consume raw meat and risk a serious illness.
MEAT TEMPERATURE GUIDELINES
Ground Beef- 160 degrees
Chicken- 165 degrees
Pork, beef, lamb, and veal- 145 degrees
Should you need our services, ServiceMaster Restoration offers professional fire restoration services. Our number one goal is to get the job done successfully and properly, returning your life and property back to normal. We are known for our consistency, speed, and high standards of customer service. Give us a call at (704) 324-8528.