The air is finally turning cooler and leaves are starting to fall from the trees. Fall clean-up and leaf removal is not a chore that most look forward to, but one way or another you must clear your yard of leaves. Proper leaf clean-up gives your grass a better chance to come back healthier in the spring. Before you burn your leaves when cleaning your yard, consider some other (and safer!) options when it comes to leaf removal.
SAFE WAYS TO CLEAN YARD
- Use a leaf blower to remove leaves into areas where they can decompose. If you own land with woods or fields you can blow the leaves into these areas. Before you do so, check to be sure whether your town has specific regulations controlling leaf blowing.
Gather leaves into piles using your leaf blower or rake and collect them in garbage bags. Place garbage bags on the curb when trash collection day comes, be aware that there are certain days where you can dispose of yard waste.
- Shred your leaves using a lawnmower with a mulching blade and leave them on your lawn to decompose naturally. This is a wonderful option for the earth. The leaves can enrich your soil and add nutrients to your lawn.
- If you have a compost pile, add the leaves to it. Layer three to four inches of old leaves with an inch of fresh grass clippings or other leafy green yard debris for the best results.
Still, thinking of Leaf burning? Think again, not only is it dangerous but it’s also hazardous to the health of you and others.
CONSEQUENCES OF LEAF BURNING
- The particles are given off when burning leaves can cause coughing, chest pain, wheezing and shortness of breath and can possibly lead to long-term respiratory issues.
- Leaf smoke can also give off dangerous chemicals such as carbon monoxide.
- The burning of leaves causes pollution. Per the EPA, multiple leaf burnings occurring at the same time in an area can cause pollution like that of motor vehicles and factories. Leaf burning can be a fire hazard especially to your home and your neighbor’s house too!
Please keep all of this in mind when you begin your yard clean up. Always remember that large piles of leaves can sometimes cause accidental fires. Should you need any assistance with fire damage ServiceMaster specializes in fire mitigation. We will do everything to ensure that your property is restored safely and quickly. Call us today at (704) 324-8528.