A relaxing vacation getaway. Sounds like an amazing way to celebrate summer, right?
But the last thing you want to return home to after a few days away is a water leak or other home damage.
Even a short weekend of travel can provide enough time for a broken dishwasher line, a leaky roof or a failed sump pump to cause damage. And with summer storms frequently on the horizon, we know homeowners in South Central Kansas can’t be too careful when it comes to prepping their properties before they travel.
Before you depart for a summer vacay, consider these tips to best prepare your home and avoid residential water damage.
- Put the water heater in “vacation” mode.
- Turn off water valves to the washing machine, dishwasher, toilets and under the sinks.
- Keep gutters and drains clear to carry water away from the house. Check storm drains on the street, as leaves and debris can block them, causing water to collect.
- Invest in a battery-powered sump pump to pump water out of the home.
- Leave your emergency contact with a neighbor so you can be reached quickly if something goes awry.
In addition to preventing water leaks, you should review other items in your home to avoid further problems.
- Make your house look lived in. Ask a trusted neighbor to pick up the newspaper and mail. Put at least one light in your house on a timer. Make sure your lawn is trimmed.
- Unplug small appliances and electronic devices inside the house.
- Set your thermostat to a temperature closer to outside. (Warmer in the summer, cooler in the winter.)
- Throw away food that could go bad on your vacation and take out the trash before you leave.
- Make sure smoke detectors are working properly.
Call us at 316-219-9696 for more information of if you have a water leak and need emergency water restoration services in the Wichita, Hutchinson, Derby or Winfield, Kan., areas. Our crews are available 24/7/365 to respond.