October is National Fire Prevention Month and a great time to practice and develop fire safety habits. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) encourages homeowners to check smoke alarms to ensure they are working in the event of a fire.
In addition to sharing this reminder with your family, you can provide these tips on avoiding common causes of fires:
- Cooking-related fires
The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Help avoid a kitchen fire by staying in the kitchen while frying, grilling or broiling food. Turn off the stove if leaving the kitchen for even a short period of time.
- Candle-related fires
More than half of all candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle. Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
- Heating-related fires
Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Electrical-related fires
Only plug one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) into a receptacle outlet at a time.
At ServiceMaster Clean in a Wink, we hope an unexpected fire doesn’t damage your home. But if it does, know we’re here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to restore your belongings and get your home back to normal.
Call (316) 348-4464 for more fire prevention tips or for help cleaning after a fire.
Source: NFPA’s Fire Prevention Week website, (C) NFPA 2014.