Mold is a fungus that can grow almost anywhere, indoors or outdoors. The approximately 100,000 species of mold that exist all share the same basic characteristics: the need for oxygen, moisture and nutrients to grow. Indoor wood, wallboard, wallpaper, upholstery and dust can be excellent nutrient sources.
Although mold can grow in most environments, it grows best in damp, warm conditions. Molds spread and reproduce by making spores, which are small and lightweight; able to travel through air; can resist dry, adverse environmental conditions and are capable of surviving a long time.
Individuals are exposed to mold through skin contact, inhalation or ingestion, which may cause mild to severe allergic reactions, depending on an individual’s sensitivity. Working or living in moldy conditions can be dangerous. Not only does it present health dangers, but left unattended it will continuously grow and can damage and destroy whatever material it has inhabited.
Improper treatment of mold can spread the problem and make it worse. If you discover mold, contact a certified mold remediation professional. Call ServiceMaster Clean in a Wink at (316) 348-4464 for more information.