When disaster strikes and water leaks in your home, your first step is to contact your insurance company. To help prevent further damage, follow these tips from ServiceMaster Restore®.
What to do after water damage:
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Remove wet area rugs or other floor coverings not permanently attached. DO NOT attempt to start removing your wall-to-wall carpet.
- Lift draperies off the floor, loop through a coat hanger and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
- Wipe furniture/prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying and place aluminum foil under furniture legs.
- Move photos, paintings and art objects to a safe, dry location.
- Keep books on shelves. Pack them tightly to prevent warping of pages until a restoration professional can begin this specialized drying.
- Open drawers, closets and cabinet doors to enhance drying.
- Damage from water and bacteria growth can begin within hours. Call ServiceMaster Clean in a Wink for professional help and guidance in Wichita, Hutchinson, Derby and Winfield, KS.
What NOT to do after water damage:
- Do not enter a room with standing water until electricity has been turned off.
- Do not use a regular household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not lift tacked-down carpet without professional help.
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or flooring.
- Do not disturb visible mold.
- Do not remove books from shelves.
For emergency water damage restoration services in South Central Kansas, contact ServiceMaster Clean in a Wink at .