Open Accessibility Menu
Hide

Safely Heat Your Property this Winter

As the U.S. has begun experiencing cooler temperatures, many individuals rely on the warmth of a space heater. According to the NFPA, heating is the second leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries, and the third leading cause of home fire deaths. In 2014-2018, local fire departments responded to an estimated average of 48,530 fires involving heating equipment, accounting for 14% of all reported home fires during this time. These fires resulted in annual losses of 500 civilian deaths, 1,350 civilian injuries, and $1.1 billion in direct property damage.

It's important to learn about heating safety so that you can avoid a fire on your property.

Practice Safe Heating

  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, such as the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.

  • Never use your oven to heat your home.

  • Have a qualified professional install stationary heating equipment, water heaters, or central heating equipment according to local codes and the manufacturer's instructions.

  • Hire a qualified heating equipment and chimneys specialist every year to keep them clean and inspect them for any issues.

  • Remember to turn off the portable heater when you're leaving the room or going to bed.

  • Always use the specified fuel for your space heater.

  • You should have a sturdy screen on your fireplace to stop sparks from flying toward your room. As the ashes cool, you should place them in a metal container that's far away from where you sleep.

  • Test smoke alarms at least once a month.

  • Install wood-burning stoves following the manufacturer’s instructions or have a professional do the installation. All fuel-burning equipment should be vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

  • Install and maintain CO alarms to avoid the risk of CO poisoning. If you smell gas in your gas heater, do not light the appliance. Leave the home immediately and call your local fire department or gas company

Disaster Restoration After a Fire

If your property is subject to fire due to space heater usage or another issue, ServiceMaster DSI is here to help. Our experts will inspect your home and determine a course of action. We’ll remove damaged items and materials, focusing on removing the smoke smell as well as soot stains from the home. Our fire damage experts are qualified to restore your property after a fire and will work hard to revitalize your home as quickly as possible.

If you’ve been affected by a fire, we can help. Contact our team today to learn how we can help restore your property.