Open Accessibility Menu

How to Safely Decorate for the Holidays

Avoiding Fire Hazards in Your Burns Harbor Home

As the holiday season approaches, many look forward to transforming their homes with festive decorations. Twinkling lights, fragrant candles, and ornate Christmas trees all contribute to the magical atmosphere that we cherish each year. But while these elements bring joy and warmth, they can also pose significant fire hazards if not handled correctly.

This is where our expertise at ServiceMaster by Tekton comes into play. With extensive experience in fire damage restoration, we are well-equipped to handle any fire-related incidents that may occur during the holiday season.

Our team of professionals is trained to handle all aspects of fire damage, from initial assessment to complete restoration. We understand that dealing with a fire can be a traumatic experience, and we are here to support you every step of the way.

Common Fire Hazards During the Holidays

The holiday season, while full of joy and celebration, also introduces a number of potential fire hazards into our homes.

Let's take a closer look at some of the most common ones:

  • Candles: Candles are a popular choice for creating a cozy and festive atmosphere. However, they are also one of the leading causes of home fires during the holiday season.
  • Christmas Trees: Dry trees can catch fire easily and spread rapidly, especially if they are located near a heat source. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) states that U.S. fire departments respond to an average of 240 residential fires a year caused by Christmas trees alone.
  • Faulty Lights: Holiday lights can add a magical touch to your home, but they can also pose a risk if they are old or damaged. Frayed wires, overloaded circuits, or improper use of indoor lights outdoors can all lead to electrical fires.

Despite these risks, there are precautions you can take when decorating and enjoying festivities to reduce the fire risk in your Burns Harbor home.

Steps to Avoid Fire Hazards When Decorating

Holiday decorating is a cherished tradition for many families. However, it's important to remember that safety should always be a top priority.

Here are some tips to ensure your holiday decorations bring cheer, not hazards:

  • Quality Materials: Always choose high-quality decorations that meet safety standards. Look for lights and other electrical decorations that are tested and certified by recognized laboratories.
  • Check Electrical Equipment: Before you start decorating, inspect all lights, electric decorations, and extension cords for damage. Discard any items with exposed wires, broken sockets, or loose connections, as they can cause a serious shock or start a fire.
  • Safe Candle Usage: Never leave burning candles unattended or sleep in a room with a lit candle. Keep candles away from flammable items like curtains, furniture, and Christmas trees. Consider using flameless candles, which can look and smell like real ones without the fire risk.
  • Christmas Tree Maintenance: If you're using a live tree, keep it watered regularly to prevent it from drying out and becoming a fire hazard. Place the tree away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, or heat vents.
  • Don't Overload Outlets: Avoid plugging too many decorations or electrical devices into one outlet, as this can overload the circuit and cause a fire.
  • Turn Off Decorations Before Leaving or Sleeping: Always turn off all indoor and outdoor holiday lighting before leaving the house or going to bed.
  • Outdoor Decorations: Use only outdoor-rated lights and extension cords for outdoor decorations. Securely fasten lights to your home or trees to protect them from wind damage.
  • Fire Safety Equipment: Ensure your smoke alarms and fire extinguishers are in good working condition. The holiday season is a great time to check these crucial pieces of safety equipment.

By following these safety measures, you can fill your home with holiday cheer while keeping your family safe. Remember, the best gift you can give your loved ones is a safe and happy holiday season!

What to Do if Your Home Is Affected by Fire Damage

Despite taking every precaution, disaster can strike without warning. The aftermath can be overwhelming, and the process of restoring your home may seem daunting. That's where our team at ServiceMaster by Tekton comes in.

Locally owned and operated in Burns Harbor, we are a leading industry expert in fire damage restoration. We provide specialized services to restore homes after the devastating effects of a fire. Our team of professionals is ready to respond quickly and efficiently to your call.

We understand that time is of the essence when it comes to fire damage, which is why we prioritize prompt response times. As soon as we receive your call, our team will be on the way to assess the damage and begin the restoration process.

Contact us online or call (219) 255-3422 today for comprehensive Burns Harbor fire damage restoration services.