Keep Your Cordova Home Safe from Fire Damage
Household fires are a serious and potentially deadly danger that can affect any home in Cordova. Every year, residential fires cause extensive damage to property and even injuries and deaths. To ensure the safety of your family and your home, it is important to be aware of the most common causes of household fires so you can take steps to prevent them.
At ServiceMaster by Cornerstone, we specialize in disaster restoration of all kinds, including helping families recover after residential fires. By educating our customers about fire prevention, we hope to help improve the safety of our community. We will explore the top five causes of residential fires according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), as well as provide tips for keeping your Cordova home safe from fire damage.
Cooking is one of the most common causes of residential fires and a leading cause of fire-related injuries. According to the NFPA, cooking causes nearly half of all home fires, making it more likely than any other single cause to start a blaze in your Cordova home.
It's important to remain in the kitchen at all times while using ovens, ranges, stovetops, and other equipment. Keeping a fire extinguisher in your kitchen is also a smart idea, as it could help you contain a small fire before it gets out of control. The majority of cooking-related fires occur during the holiday season, so be especially vigilant during this time.
Heating fires are particularly common in Cordova during the winter months of December, January, and February, when equipment like furnaces and space heaters are used more frequently. When using heating equipment, whether it be your home's heating system or a space heater, be sure to keep flammable objects at least three feet away from heat sources.
Having your home's chimney, furnace, and other heating equipment inspected regularly is another important preventative measure. In addition to reducing the risk of fires, regular inspections can also improve efficiency and extend the lifespan of your home’s heating system.
Electrical fires are a serious and potentially deadly danger often caused by faulty wiring or overloaded circuits. Cords, plugs, lamps, and other electronics can start a fire if used improperly. It's important to be careful not to overload power outlets or leave running electronics unattended for extended periods of time.
The most important step you can take to prevent electrical fires is to have all of your home's electrical work performed by a professional. Having an electrician perform regular inspections and maintenance will ensure that your home's wiring, circuits, and more are all functioning properly.
Irresponsible use of smoking paraphernalia, including cigars, cigarettes, and pipes, are another common cause of household fire damage. If you choose to smoke, you should always do so outside, as most deaths occur due to fires that started in the bedroom or living room.
Other tips to help prevent smoking fires include:
- Keep cigarettes, lighters, matches, and other items out of reach of children and in a locked box or cabinet
- Use a deep, sturdy ashtray and keep it away from flammable items
- Douse butts in water or sand to ensure that they are completely out
- Never smoke anywhere near where medical oxygen is being used, as it can fuel fires
Candles can be a beautiful addition to any room, but they also pose a serious fire hazard. According to the NFPA, firefighters in the United States responded to an estimated 7,400 home structure fires caused by candles every year from 2015-2019. Remember, candles are an open flame and can easily cause any flammable objects to catch fire. It's important to use candles responsibly in your Cordova home.
You should never leave a candle unattended, and always blow them out before leaving the room or going to bed. Use sturdy candle holders that won't tip over and opt for flashlights or lanterns in the event of a power outage.
Need Fire Damage Restoration for Your Home? ServiceMaster by Cornerstone is Here.
Fire safety is an important part of owning a home in Cordova that should not be taken lightly. However, even the most prepared households can still experience damage at the hands of a blaze. If your home is ever affected by a fire, you can rest assured that ServiceMaster by Cornerstone will be there to assist you.
Our comprehensive residential fire damage restoration services include everything from soot and odor removal to helping you deal with insurance adjustors. Recovering from a fire is extremely challenging, so let us handle the heavy lifting.
To learn more about our residential fire damage restoration services, contact us online or call (901) 459-3675 today. Our team is ready and waiting to assist you 24/7.