Open Accessibility Menu

Mold Remediation in Boulder, CO

Household Mold Removal Near You

Why Mold in a Home is Cause for Concern?

Mold is an unfortunate and inevitable consequence of nature.

ServiceMaster of Boulder County has over 30 years of professional experience cleaning up and restoring mold problems – getting houses back to normal!

Its tiny spores, while not readily visible, float through the outdoor and indoor air landing on everything in their path. For that reason, mold and its spores will always be present – it’s not practical or even possible to completely remove them.

In spite of this, if spores settle on a wet or damp surface in the home, mold can start to grow and build up. At that point it’s essential to get rid of it. That’s because failing to clean up mold can adversely affect your health and that of your family members, and cause irreparable damage to your property as well.

Call (303) 529-7268 anytime, 24/7, for mold cleanup services in Boulder, CO and the surrounding areas.

Mold Cleaning — When to Call ServiceMaster of Boulder

A frequently asked question is “Should I attempt mold cleaning myself or hire a mold restoration service?” Of course, the broader answer is—it all depends on your unique situation.

Typically, you can clean-up a small patch of mold yourself. However, under certain conditions mold cleaning is better left to the experts with professional equipment to handle multiple important tasks. Consider the following when determining the best approach to mold cleaning and mold damages situations.

  • What is the extent of mold growth and damage to your property?

In general, the EPA suggests home owners and property managers follow certain guidelines for mold cleaning when the fungi spreads beyond a 10 ft. by 10 ft. area, including the use of personal protective equipment, containment equipment and other specific practices and procedures.

  • Is mold growing in hidden areas of the home or building?

In some situations you may not see visible signs of mold, but you can smell a moldy or musty odor. This indicates that mold may be growing in hidden areas, such as between interior walls. Unfortunately, checking for mold or removing it from concealed places can be particularly troublesome. That’s because, removing wall paper, ceiling tiles or other materials releases and spreads a significant amount of mold spores when not done correctly.

  • Is mold present in the HVAC system?

When moisture is present in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning system, mold can grow and its spores can proliferate throughout the home or building when the system is running. In this case, the heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system requires mold cleaning. But this isn’t quite as easy as it sounds. It’s critical that all components of the system be properly and thoroughly cleaned. Failure to do so will only result in re-contamination.

  • Are you sensitive to the toxic effects of mold?

Exposure to mold can cause serious health effects, particularly to sensitive individuals. If you experience a serious allergic reaction to mold or have a condition that mold can worsen, such as asthma, it’s best not to try mold cleaning yourself.

  • What is the source or cause of mold growth?

Mold needs moisture to thrive and grow. If you have a mold problem it is usually a sign of high humidity levels in the environment or possible water intrusion that can originate from a variety of sources. If the source contains contaminated water, such as sewage liquid, consider enlisting the water damage and mold cleaning services of ServiceMaster of Boulder.

Exposure to harmful organisms in gray or black water can potentially cause another series of health risks. Additionally, the source of the water or moisture problem must be fixed and the area affected needs to be properly cleaned and dried. Otherwise, the conditions that favor mold and mildew growth will continue to be present and the mold will grow back.

Mold May Cause or Worsen Health Problems

Molds, also called fungi, produce substances that cause irritation, allergies and other serious health problems. Certain types of mold can also produce an extremely harmful toxin called mycotoxin.

Irritation — People who are sensitive to molds may experience eye and skin irritation, nasal stuffiness, and other mild symptoms.

Allergic Reactions — Some people experience more serious allergic reactions when exposed to mold, such as shortness of breath, fever and upper respiratory tract symptoms. These reactions can occur in individuals who are otherwise healthy. Additionally, those who are not sensitive to mold may become so after repeated exposure to the fungi.

Asthma — Indoor exposure to mold can worsen asthma symptoms and trigger asthma attacks in people with the condition. Additionally, recent studies suggest a link between early exposure to mold and the onset of asthma in susceptible children.

Effects from Toxic Mold — Molds that produce mycotoxins can be particularly hazardous to the health of those exposed. In addition to the symptoms mentioned above, mycotoxins can damage the liver and central nervous system, suppress the immune system and even cause cancer.

It is not uncommon to find molds that produce mycotoxins in moisture or water damaged homes and buildings. Regardless of the type of mold present in a home, it should always be removed promptly to prevent these harmful health effects.

Due to the risks associated with inhaling mold spores or coming into contact with mold through other means, mold mitigation is better left to our trained technicians at ServiceMaster of Boulder. We take the necessary safety precautions to limit mold exposure through the use of specialized personal protective equipment, containment and cleaning equipment, and biocides.

Mold Can Cause Property Damage

Mold and the conditions that foster it can cause serious damage to your home’s structure and contents. As it feeds on damp, organic materials such as wood, it can rot a home’s frame weakening walls, ceilings and floors. Porous materials such as carpet, insulation and ceiling tiles may have to be removed and safely discarded when infested with mold. The longer mold grows the greater the risk of damage.

If you can smell a moldy odor, but can’t see any visible signs of mold, then it’s most likely growing on a hidden surface. The damage may be occurring underneath carpets and padding or on the backside of ceiling tiles and drywall, as well as many other possible hidden locations.

Stopping Mold Growth in a Wet Basement

Dealing with water damage from a wet basement can be challenging enough, not to mention disheartening. But, unfortunately in the aftermath of this disaster you’re also confronted with the possibility of another unwelcome menace — mold!

That’s because a wet basement provides favorable conditions for mold to grow, spawn and spread. If your basement is finished, mold can infiltrate the porous spaces in carpet and upholstered furniture and destroy these materials. Even in unfinished basements mold can cause damage to items in storage or eat away at the wood frame and floor boards above.

In fact, mold can thrive on any organic material as long as there is enough moisture and the temperature is favorable.

What’s more, mold spores originating in a wet basement can spread to upper levels of your home or building through the HVAC system or even with drafts, compounding the problem. Incidentally, mold isn’t the only harmful organism lurking in a wet basement. A host of allergens, dust mites for instance, and disease causing bacteria also flourish in damp areas.

A wet basement can occur from a variety of sources, such as high humidity levels, and slow or sudden water intrusion, for instance a plumbing leak or heavy rainfall seeping through cracks in the walls.

In situations where water penetrates building materials and contents, you shouldn’t just assume that once the water recedes, the basement will dry out and the mold problem will go away.

To prevent mold growth in a wet basement the first step is to find the cause of the water problem and fix it promptly.

Mold can start to growth quickly—within 48 to 72 hours after a water problem occurs. For that reason, any excess water should be extracted and the area should be thoroughly dried as well.

If you don’t have the experience or professional drying and cleaning equipment, consider calling the water restoration specialists at ServiceMaster of Boulder. In cases where high humidity is the culprit, learn what you can do to control moisture levels

Mold Mitigation in Boulder — How to Control and Prevent Mold Growth

Mold restoration, cleaning, and prevention services may be needed to prevent mold growth or to clean up colonies already forming. Professional restorers will take the necessary precautionary measures during the process, since mold can cause serious health consequences to those exposed.

All surfaces and items affected should be thoroughly cleaned using the proper protocols, which depends on the extent of damage and type of material involved. Mold that forms in hidden areas can also spread spores throughout a home or building, so it’s critical to check for mold and remove it from concealed places.

The most important point to keep in mind is that a wet basement is the perfect breeding ground for mold. For that reason, acting promptly at the first sign of a water or moisture problem is critical to preventing and controlling mold. If you are dealing with a wet basement, and possibly mold, call our professional water and mold restoration specialists.

For mold problems or to learn more, contact ServiceMaster of Boulder at (303) 529-7268. Our company provides mold cleaning and remediation services in Boulder, CO, and the surrounding areas.