After a fire, smoke can leave an unpleasant odor and can even continue to damage your home, compounding problems after what has already been a traumatic experience. You may be tempted to try to clean smoke damage yourself, but there are many reasons why you should call in the professionals instead. Between having the right experience and access to special cleaning products that aren't readily available to homeowners, hiring a service that knows how to clean smoke damage is definitely the right move to make. Here's why.
How Smoke Damage Continues After a Fire
Time is of the essence after a fire. Even once the firefighters have gone, you still have smoke damage to deal with. It's important to hire a professional smoke damage removal service quickly, as ongoing damage can set in within hours of a fire. Here are just some of the risks that an expert crew can mitigate:
- Plastic or fiberglass: It won't take long for these items to turn yellow. You can't prevent this with simple scrubbing. It's a chemical reaction from being close to fire.
- Walls: Walls need to be treated immediately in order to avoid permanent discoloration.
- Metal: Metal appliances, fixtures and décor items are likely to tarnish. If you wait too long, you will lose these items to corrosion. Ash speeds up this process, too.
- Carpet: If your carpet didn't melt, it's likely to hold odor for a long time without help from professionals. This odor won't come out with your usual cleaning methods. You may also see progressive discoloration.
- Glass: Glass can take on an etched look post-fire. This is because heat, ash, and smoke have destroyed the chemical composition of the glass.
- Wood: Most remaining, exposed wood needs to be sanded and refinished after a fire.
With the clock ticking, it's critical to get the cleanup experts on-site quickly after a fire. Check out this video for some more important do's and don'ts to which you should adhere in the immediate aftermath of a home fire:
Smoke Odor Removal
Like damage from smoke, most homeowners aren't equipped to take care of smoke odor removal after a fire. In fact, people are often surprised at how long the odor of smoke remains in a home well after the fire has been put out. A home that hasn't been properly treated for smoke odor can be difficult or impossible to live in. Physically, it's uncomfortable, and it can also stir up a lot of unwanted feelings for people. For these reasons, taking care of smoke odor once and for all with the help of an expert crew is a must.
At ServiceMaster Restore®, we understand how important it is to limit the damage your home experiences in a fire, while getting things back to normal as quickly as possible. Our caring and capable professionals know how to clean smoke damage and help your family through the difficult task of recovering. Contact us at once if your home suffers a fire – we are here to help around the clock, every single day.