Fire can cause serious damage to your home, even after the flames have been extinguished if immediate restoration steps aren’t quickly initiated. It’s imperative that you contact a professional fire damage restoration firm promptly so fire damage clean-up can be started before a chemical reaction takes place from the soot on surfaces. Our aim here is to look into why it’s necessary to start the restoration process immediately after the fire is extinguished. We’ll also review some of the important steps restoration professionals in Morristown, NJ and throughout all of northern New Jersey take as part of fire damage remediation.
Why Taking Urgent Fire Damage Remediation Steps is Necessary After a Fire
There are several reasons why it’s necessary to take urgent restoration steps right after the fire is extinguished:
- Damage Caused by Acidic Soot: As soon as the fire is extinguished, soot residue starts settling over everything. Porous materials will get permanently discolored, and fire damage repair professionals will not be able to remove the discoloration.
However, if allowed to act quickly, the technicians will be able to clean other surfaces and remove discoloration as well as prevent staining due to acidic soot.
- Fire and Smoke Damage: Within hours after a fire, many of the surfaces will start getting damaged. In most cases, refinishing will become necessary for wooden furniture and flooring, while metallic objects will start to rust and corrode.
Similarly, painted walls will turn yellowish, and permanent staining will appear on clothing. If urgent steps are performed by fire damage mitigation professionals, this damage can be prevented.
- Soot Exposure: Prolonged exposure to soot will cause permanent damage to most surfaces. At this point, there will be no option but to discard the items damaged due to soot exposure.
Procedures for Fire Damage Clean Up
It’s quite clear from the above details that immediate action is necessary to reduce the extent of damage fire, smoke, and soot can cause to your home and belongings. We’ll now review some of the steps fire damage repair firms take to restore your property:
- Ventilation: Restoration professionals utilize industrial-strength air moving equipment to remove contaminated air from the structure and reduce the smoke damage your belongings may be subjected to
- Smoke Contamination: A special type of dry cleaning soot sponge is utilized to remove loose smoke contamination
- Thorough Cleanup: A thorough cleanup is conducted of all the surfaces using specialized products with proper mixtures. Carpet and upholstery are initially cleaned using a specialized vacuum cleaner fitted with a HEPA filter
- Neutralize Acids: Cleaning professionals will use an alkaline cleaner to neutralize acids present in soot
- Equipment: Specialized equipment is used to eliminate odor from the area(s) impacted.
If your home has suffered fire damage, contact ServiceMaster Metropolitan immediately for professional fire damage restoration. Our experts have the required knowledge and expertise to carry out fire damage restoration tasks in the best possible manner.
Just give us a call on our customer support number, (973) 542-9074, and we’ll dispatch a team to your home in Morristown, NJ, or anywhere in northern New Jersey, analyze the extent of the damage, and immediately start the fire damage remediation work.